Erastus Francis Winters was born January 10, 1907, to Niels Erastus and Esther
Leona Winters in Otto, Wyoming, Big Horn Basin, the oldest of eight children. His
boyhood days were spent helping on the farm raising sheep, fruit, vegetable row
crops and caring for honeybees. He graduated from the University of Wyoming,
College of Agriculture, 1931, with the highest average grade of any student in its
history to that date. He married Margaret Burton from Afton, Wyoming, June 10,
1932, in Logan, Utah. They had ten children. He taught vocational agriculture in
Lyman, Wyoming, was employed by the Farm Security Program, arranging
loans from the federal government for farmers, in Pinedale, Wyoming, then
accepted an offer in Afton as the Lincoln County Agricultural Agent. Star Valley at
this time was primarily an agricultural area.
· As County Agent, worked with and advised farmers and ranchers; involved
in Farm Bureau, Wool Growers Association, Soil Conservation, Water
Conservation, Weed and Pest Control; organized Lincoln County Fair;
supervised 4-H Program, his demonstration teams competing nationally.
· President of Wyoming State County Agents.
· Bishop Afton North Ward, Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints,
August 1944 - 1947.
· LDS Stake President, 1947 - 1970, serving twenty-two and a half years as
spiritual leader of predominantly LDS community.
· Accountant at Star Valley Swiss Cheese Company and insurance agent.
· Chairman over twenty-two years of Star Valley LDS Hospital, forerunner of
present facility, instrumental in maintaining the hospital during difficult
· District Boy Scout Commissioner, District Chairman of Tendoy Council,
President of Tendoy Council, recipient of Silver Beaver Award.
· Musician, blessed with a beautiful singing voice, a talent shared freely in
hundreds of community productions, funerals and religious gatherings.
· Last few years of his life continued to serve his LDS home community as
Counselor in the Idaho Falls Temple Presidency, performing many
marriages and other ordinances.
· Outstanding citizen, patriot, community leader. Humble, spiritual, loving
and considerate, without guile.